Nanostructured materials exhibit a wide range of interesting optical phenomena. For example, metal nanoparticles strongly absorb and scatter visible light via so-called plasmon resonances, while regular arrays of nanoparticles exhibit collective optical phenomena that strongly depend on their geometric arrangement.
In the NPC group we exploit a range of nanophotonic effects to drive, steer, and detect chemical and physical processes at the nanoscale.
In particular, we synthesize nanomaterials for energy conversion and storage, heterogeneous catalysis, nanomaterials synthesis, and sensing applications and characterize their photochemical properties in ensemble experiments and at the level of single nanoparticles.
Our group brings together a diverse group of scientists with backgrounds in physics, chemistry, and materials science.
If you are interested in joining us for a bachelor or master project or if you would like to apply for a PhD or a postdoc position, you can find us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Current research projects
Group’s recent publications
(see also here)
• R. Kamarudheen, G. Kumari, and A. Baldi, Plasmon-driven synthesis of individual metal@ semiconductor core@ shell nanoparticles, Nature Communications 2020, 11:3957
• R. Kamarudheen, G. J. W. Aalbers, R. F. Hamans, L. P. J. Kamp, A. Baldi Distinguishing Among All Possible Activation Mechanisms of a Plasmon-Driven Chemical Reaction, ACS Energy Letters 2020, 5, 2605-2613
• M. Parente, M. van Helmert, R. F. Hamans, R. Verbroekken, R. Sinha, A. Bieberle-Hütter, and A. Baldi, Simple and Fast High-Yield Synthesis of Silver Nanowires, Nano Letters 2020, 20, 5759-5764
• G. Baffou, I. Bordacchini, A. Baldi, and Romain Quidant, Simple experimental procedures to distinguish photothermal from hot-carrier processes in plasmonics, Light: Science & Applications 2020, 9, 1-16
• N. van Hoof, M. Parente, A. Baldi, and J. Gómez Rivas, Terahertz Time-Domain Spectroscopy and Near-Field Microscopy of Transparent Silver Nanowire Networks, Advanced Optical Materials 2020, 8, 1900790
• Hamans, M. Parente, G. W. Castellanos, M. Ramezani, J. Gómez Rivas, and A. Baldi, Super-resolution Mapping of Enhanced Emission by Collective Plasmonic Resonances, ACS Nano 2019, 13, 4514-4521
• Baldi, L. P. A. Mooij, V. Palmisano, H. Schreuders, G. Krishnan, B. J. Kooi, B. Dam, and R. Griessen, Elastic versus alloying effects in Mg-based hydride films, Physical Review Letters 2018, 121, 255503
• R. Kamarudheen, G. Castellanos Gonzales, L. Kamp, H. Clercx, and A. Baldi, Quantifying photothermal and hot charge carrier effects in plasmon-driven nanoparticle syntheses, ACS Nano 2018, 12, 8447-8455
• M. Parente, S. N. Sheikholeslami, G. V. Naik, J. A. Dionne, and A. Baldi, Equilibration of Photogenerated Charge Carriers in Plasmonic Core@Shell Nanoparticles, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2018, 122, 23631-23638